Monday 25 April 2016

What is the best dog for hunting mainly Pheasants, Quail, and Grouse

here you can let know about best Dog for Hunting

best dog for hunting

I do a lot of bird hunting with dogs. No quail or doves but everything else on the menu plus waterfowl. I have two labs and a french brittany. They work very well together and individually. For versatility I really don't think you can beat a lab. I enjoy hunting over a flushing dog much more than the pointer, but that's just me. Hunting uplands over pointers might be more "productive" in the sense of filling the bag, but I find hunting over flushers to be more exciting.

best dog for hunting


I have been training dogs for more than forty years and have never owned a shock collar or a beeper. However, I do spend a LOT of time in the field with my dogs. And I accept that there is going to be a lot of blown opportunities when training a new dog. I just keep saying to myself, "Well, that's one more I don't have to clean tonight." And, as I always say, the longer it takes me to fill my limit, the longer I'm in the field. And the longer I am in the field, the happier I am.

I find many of the pointers are too hard-headed and high-strung. Not infrequently they are also poor retrievers (and that's all you'd want for dove hunting). Personally, I'd rather hunt over a dog rather than a beeping-shccking piece of technocrap. The guys kick those pointing dogs with their battery-powered collars out of the box and they're all over hell's half acre for hours. A lot of beeping, whistles, and screaming going on but not nearly as much shooting as I get over my three. Labs are much more compliant. The key, I think, is to find a breed, or rather a pup, that is even-tempered and affectionate. A loving dog loves to please. However, even if you get the best pup in the world don't think you can totally "spare the rod" when training it. Just make sure you don't spare the love too.

Last piece of advice: raise your dog IN THE HOUSE not in a kennel. I have seen great kennel-raised dogs but I always wondered how much greater they would have been had they been given more human contact. And I have seen a ton of kennel raised so-called hunting dogs, labs included, that were just a waste of dog food and oxygen. If you're a working person who doesn't have a lot of time to spare for a dog, maximize what time you don't have in the field by spending it with the dog at home.

If you're thinking about a Brittany, think seriously about a french Brittany. The American variety has been bred up in size and they are starting to add more of the typical pointer ranginess.best dog for hunting The french brittany still hunts close and also has webbed feet which makes them more useful for waterfowl. You can also find them in tri-color like my pup (see profile photo). As pretty to look at as they are to hunt with. WONDERFUL disposition too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment